Adam W. Chase
Adam Chase joined HBC in 2008, after spending 14 years with Oreck, Crighton, Adams & Chase, a Colorado and Louisiana law firm that specialized in tax law. At the firm Adam also served in the capacity as the equivalent of in-house counsel for a primary client. He was a partner of the firm.
Adam's practice covers a broad range of business, corporate and tax matters, with an expertise in state and local sales and use tax.
AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
Representative Cases and Transactions
Adam has represented small, mid-size and large companies and individuals in a wide range of tax and business transactional, planning and controversies, including formation and dissolution of entities, breach of contract claims, construction disputes, audits and assessments and, especially, protests against state and local tax administrations.
Publications and Presentations
- Colorado Sales & Use Taxation: The Complete State and Local Reference, 2003
- Colorado Sales and Use Tax: Beginners and Advanced Courses for Lorman Tax Seminars
- Louisiana State & Local Tax Report: Author and of articles on state and local tax matters
- Tax Planning for Same-Sex Couples, 72 Den.U. L. Rev. 359 (1995)
- Barriers to International Agreements for the Adaptation and Mitigation of Global Climate Change: Law and Economics Approach, 1 Touro J. Envtl. L. J. 17 (1994)
- Ecotax International: Comments on Taxation for Envtl. Protection: 23 Envtl. L. (1993)
- The Efficiency Benefits of "Green Taxes," 11 U.C.L.A. J. Envtl. L. & Pol'y 1 (1992)
Areas of Practice
- New York University School of Law, LL.M. Taxation, 1994
- Senior Staff Editor, NYU Environmental Law Journal
- University of Colorado School of Law, J.D., 1991
- Colorado Journal of International Environmental Law and Policy, Managing Editor, Notes and Comments Editor
- University of Kent, UK, B.A., 1987
- Haverford College, B.A., 1988 (Honors)
Bar Admissions / Clerkships
- Colorado, 1991
- Louisiana, 1995
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 1991
- Law Clerk, Honorable Richard Matsch, 1991-92; U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
Memberships / Awards
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Louisiana Bar Association
- Boulder County Bar Association
Adam has represented a number of individuals and nonprofit corporations, including Boulder County AIDS Project, Environmental Defense Fund and served as the Chair of the Boulder Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union. He is also the President of the American Trail Running Association.