Christopher W. Ford
Chris's practice focuses on general civil litigation. He has particular emphases in finance and lease litigation, real estate litigation, construction litigation, commercial litigation, and plaintiff's personal injury litigation.
Chris has represented numerous individuals and nonprofit corporations involved in formal litigation and informal disputes, as well as in negotiation of various transactions. Chris has also served for four years as Secretary and Vice Chair on the Board of Directors for a nonprofit child care/preschool agency that primarily serves low-income Boulder County children. Chris has been selected for inclusion in "The Best Lawyers in America."
Chris was born and raised in Boulder, graduating Valedictorian from Boulder High School. After graduating first in his college class and Phi Beta Kappa, Chris spent several years working on public health programs in the San Francisco Bay Area. Chris went on to attend Harvard Law School, where he graduated with honors. During law school, Chris represented low income parents at the Harvard Legal Services Center and published his third year paper in the Columbia Journal of Gender and Law. Following law school graduation, Chris clerked for the Honorable Mary Mullarkey, Chief Justice of the Colorado Supreme Court.
Outside of work, Chris enjoys spending time with his wife and two boys and running on Boulder's mountain trails.
AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
Representative Cases and Transactions
- Finance/Lease Litigation. Chris represents a major Colorado leasing company as general and litigation counsel. In this capacity, Chris has handled over fifty cases, ranging from small to multi-million dollar contract disputes, and has overseen several large lease transactions. Chris has also represented several large independent leasing companies involved in Colorado litigation. Chris's finance and lease litigation practice also includes representing persons and companies sued as defendants in breach of contract matters.
- Real Estate Litigation. Chris has had a broad array of real estate litigation cases, which include commercial real property foreclosures, breach-of-lease cases, boundary disputes, development disputes, and real property division cases.
- Construction Litigation. Chris has represented general contractors, subcontractors, and owners involved in construction disputes. His construction practice has included both trial and appellate litigation, and spans from lien foreclosures to large arbitrations.
- General Commercial Litigation. In addition to the above areas, Chris has a broad general commercial litigation practice. His cases have included employment disputes (representing both employers and employees), high technology business and intellectual property disputes, insurance coverage cases, and dozens of business-to-business breach of contract cases. These commercial litigation cases have ranged from several hundred thousand dollar to multi-million dollar disputes.
- Personal Injury Litigation. Chris has represented individuals needing plaintiff's counsel in a variety of matters. This aspect of Chris's practice has included civil rights litigation, as well as personal injury litigation, including negligence and intentional injury cases. Chris has tried and settled cases that resulted in six- and seven-figure verdicts and settlements.
Areas of Practice
- Harvard University, J.D., 1997
- Texas Christian University, B.S., 1990
Summa Cum Laude
Phi Beta Kappa
Bar Admissions / Clerkships
- Colorado, 1997
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, 1998
- Law Clerk, Honorable Mary J. Mullarkey, 1997-98; Colorado Supreme Court
Memberships / Awards
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Boulder County Bar Association
- Member, Board of Trustees of The Legal Aid Foundation of Colorado