HBC has substantial expertise in assisting U.S. businesses and individuals with international business transactions and advising foreign clients regarding operations and investments in the United States. We counsel clients on a broad range of cross-border transactions, including:
- Software and other intellectual property licensing
- International distribution and agency contracts
- Manufacturing agreements
- Cross-border mergers and acquisitions
- Sales of goods to customers outside the U.S.
- Joint ventures and unique strategic relationships
- Establishment of foreign subsidiaries and branches
- International management, consulting and services agreements
- Protection of intellectual property rights in other countries
Our firm has ongoing relationships with legal counsel in many foreign countries, which permits us to obtain high quality representation in those jurisdictions to serve our clients. Among those is HBC’s membership in LEGUS, an international network of law firms throughout the world. HBC is the sole LEGUS member firm in Colorado.
The following transactions are representative of our attorneys’ international practice:
- Negotiation and drafting license and support contracts between U.S. software providers and European customers.
- Acquisition of a cell phone technology company from stockholders in several foreign jurisdictions.
- Advising a U.S. manufacturer of renewable energy products regarding its cross-border distribution and agency relationships.
- Representation of a U.S. transportation technology company with respect to its manufacturing and marketing contracts in the People’s Republic of China.
- Creation of an international media venture in Latin America, Europe and Australia between our U.S. client and a large foreign media company.
- Representation of a multinational health care industry client in connection with its lease/purchase of telephony equipment for its affiliates worldwide.
- Merger of a Chilean telecom company with a U.S.-based multinational Fortune 100 company.
- Creation of joint ventures in Japan and Australia for a U.S. media company.
- Representation of a major U.S. company in connection with the sale of its satellite television interests in Mexico and South America.
- Negotiation and documentation of contracts for the custom development of software in Europe to operate our U.S. client’s medical equipment.
- Agreements governing the management and operation of a major U.K. telephony, cable and internet service provider.
- Advising our U.S. and Australian-based client regarding the disposition of assets held in an offshore trust.
- Assistance in obtaining employment visas, permanent residence status and U.S. citizenship.
Cross-Border Dispute Resolution
HBC’s strong experience with international dispute resolution includes international discovery, litigation and commercial arbitration. In a recent representation, HBC lawyers prevailed in international arbitration proceedings regarding internet domain names before the World Intellectual Property Organization in Switzerland. The cross-border dispute resolution practice allows our business lawyers to foresee the best dispute resolution mechanisms to build into cross-border transactions. HBC also represents non-U.S. clients in litigation and arbitration in the United States.